Share | 

DCI Foil Distribution

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Eye
Maximum Madness / Foil Grabbing Maniac

PostSubject: DCI Foil Distribution   Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 am

I think that instead of giving people cards for achievements, they can slowly build up points to 'spend' on foils. The basics are 0 for forfeiting, 1 for losing, 3 for drawing and 5 for winning, then bonuses for everything else. To get the challenge moving, these could count double in a matchup.

Here's some examples of bonuses (NOTE-forfeiting disqualifies you for ALL bonuses):

Landwalker - Play all five basic lands (+2 )
Slate Wiper - Make all creatures leave play in one turn(+2 )
Survivor - End the game with at least twice your starting life total (+3 )
Rapid Fire - Kill a player outside of your turn (+3 )
Martyr - Directly cause an opponent to win(+4 )
Domination - Kill every opponent (+4 )
Psychic Prodigy - Draw your library (+5 )
AEthercrafter - Play a card that wasn't in your library at the start of the game (+8 )
Meddling Mage - End the game without having hard-casted any spells (+8 )
Ravaged Realm - End the game with no lands in your library (+8 )
Lich - Win the game with 0 or less life (+10 )
Pyromaniac - Deal 10001 damage in one turn (+10 )
Diplomat - Win a game by dealing no damage (+10 )
Token Tycoon - End the game with ten DIFFERENT creature tokens (+10 )
Zen Master - Win the game with no permanents (+25 )

View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 am

You forgot to define how many points the cards would cost Razz

Remember, the cards do have to last a fair amount of time, I'd rather have spares than run out.
By my calculations I can afford to give out about 3 per week, assuming Wizards continue releasing 4 sets per year.
Last time I handed out 3 foils for achievements, not counting the extras for attendance (I can afford to give out extra for a while because I'll get more in a month)

Also, with your metric, people could save up their points and then go grab a playset of a certain card instantly as it comes out. I'd like to avoid this happening, as everyone should have a chance at getting all the different cards.
Apart from that, the points system works fine. I'd love to see people getting foils for simply turning up and playing.
I agree that forfeiting should mean that you get no bonuses.

I think that we should wait a while before changing anything with the rewards system. It hasn't really had a chance to get going yet, once i get more varied achievements on the list it should work a lot better. I also have a few other ideas (which I'm not going to post here until they've been tested)

One thing I'm unsure of is if everyone should know what all the achievements are. I'm all for people knowing most of them, but I don't want people to play differently to attempt to get an achievement. Obviously I'll know what they are, but I won't be awarding them to myself.

Also, cool stuff won't always be winning, there will be ones awarded for other things. There will not be many (if any) that are only achievable by specific decks - if there is one that requires a red deck, for example, there will be another one for each of the other colours too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ashhurstmtg.rpgwars.org
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 am

I wasn't sure about the 'cost' per se - I was thinking of scaling them according to the demand/power of the card. I really depends how frequently you want to give them out. You could always add something like +10 for attendance...

As for grabbing a playset, I see no problem with that; obviously some cards will be more popular than others, although the difference wasn't too great this time round...

I'm not too sure either if the achievements should be known, and they could be changed every meeting or replaced every time an objective is reached to stop people building 'harvester decks'. As for most examples being win-conditions, I guess my imagination's a little limited. If I were you though, I'd start building a database of ideas and pick ten random achievements each gathering...

View user profile
Dohyden
Professional Slacker
Professional Slacker

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 am

bad bad max, ur corrupt (like we didn't know that before) ur achievements 'Diplomat' and 'AEthercrafter' are extremely biased to you, mister infinite milling reanimating man.

i suggest we just go with what William thinks is best it is by his grace we have these cards in the first place (and i'm not brown nosing feel free to give me none) so i think he can think of the best way to distribute them. i think a good way to do it is for William to judge on the spot weather or not an action is worth a card. and we can't badger him and ask about it either, he has to see it and judge it's worth under his own initiative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akuri_Mitsu
Santa's favourite recipient
Santa's favourite recipient

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Mon May 03, 2010 9:23 am

i dont know
i quite like the idea of an achievement system
makes me feel like ive "Earned" the card

The Eye

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Mon May 03, 2010 10:13 am

(Learn to spell!)

Dohyden wrote:
bad bad max, ur corrupt (like we didn't know that before) ur achievements 'Diplomat' and 'AEthercrafter' are extremely biased to you, mister infinite milling reanimating man.

Uh, they were just examples. By the way, Diplomat was William's idea...

EDIT=> There are ways of playing cards outside your library apart from Wishes and Pull from Eternity. Bribery is one example. Anyways, neither of the foils are cards I would kill to get (although I do kill anyway...)

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DCI Foil Distribution   Today at 6:39 am

Back to top Go down

DCI Foil Distribution
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1