Ashhurst Mtg is a small group which gathers weekly to play Magic the Gathering

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 am

cheers Sounds pretty awesome, can't wait to get my electrons on it. cheers

X-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:29 am

You can download it from here:
http://stealth107.boldlygoingnowhere.org/Heirloom/App.html

Provided I've got everything right, it should work on most machines without too much issue.
If you've got a particularly strict firewall, such as Trend Micro, then you will need to allow it to connect to the internet to download the legal cards list and so on.

At the moment, it downloads the list of legal cards from my website. With a few modifications, it could download them from your forum. I didn't set it up that way to start with, because if the app downloads them form your forum, you'd have to be careful how you formatted your post with the list.

EDIT: I may have... broken something. The version I uploaded doesn't seem to be working properly on my PC. I'll attack it with a sledgehammer, and upload a new version once I've figured out why its being flaky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ashhurstmtg.rpgwars.org
The Eye
Maximum Madness / Foil Grabbing Maniac

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 am

Just out of curiosity, does MTGO have a game engine, or is it all manual? I've only seen one program so far that can actually handle MTG game logic (and AI, surprisingly) to a limited extent.

View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 am

The game they released on Steam has a game engine, I believe MTGO is fairly similar to that, I think...

EDIT: I believe that the app should work now. It wasn't actually anything to do with the program, it was because Notepad had choked on saving the file with all the "AE"s in it, so the legal card list download has some stupid unicode chars at the beginning.

Last edited by Rincewind on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 am

What's invention without a little struggle for success heh?

@The Eye cyclops MTGO has an excellent game engine. It has to, no one is moderating the games between you and your opponent but the program(basically you can't cheat). It does everything (except AI, but there are no places where you can play the comp on there) including 4 way group game. Occasionally there is a bug with something but in general all the game mechanics work perfectly and most magic sets are online.

Let me know if there are any other details you're curious about. (Also the graphics for the cards are very well displayed vs most any other program except the console game)

Mike-

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 am

It works now, Notepad and Unicode be damned scratch

Its not terribly useful at the moment, but when I get the time, I'll update it to make it more useful. For now, at least its an easy way to make sure your decks work with the format.
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am

Rince,

That's pretty amazing, Decklist:
* 4 X AEther Snap
* 4 X Abandon Hope
* 4 X Acceptable Losses

this is just a test of whatever that text does lol. (edit* nice, will this work in most forums?)

I'm pretty impressed man, I'll make this available to the Heirloom community asap.

I'm surprised it's so efficient, barely any lag on loads and images and all that.

Mike-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 am

Nope. I don't use sideboards, so I didn't think to include them Razz
What you see is what you get, when generating test hands it uses the entire decklist.
You could always load up a second copy of the program and save the sideboard in a different file.

Also, try opening up one of the saved files it generates. Its all in plaintext, you can also stick in dekclists you get from elsewhere (even ones using non-Heirloom cards) and it'll quite happily read the file, provided that the file is formatted correctly.

It works on every forum which supports BBCodes, which is pretty much all of them. Let me know if you find any issues with it.

There might be a few issues with cards with odd names, like ones with ' " - etc.

Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement Smile

It loads images off of MagicCards.info, and then saves them to the HDD so you don't have to download it if you look at the card again. It is slower if your broadband sucks (*cough*) or you're on dialup.

The only place where I'd expect lag is in startup, because the program loads the cards list. That takes a few seconds or less on most PCs though, you'd have to be running something truly ancient to notice any lag.

Last edited by Rincewind on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 am

Does it distinguish between sideboard and maindeck at all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:50 am

The deck that won the event before last

Decklist:
* 4 X Caldera Lake
* 11 X Island
* 7 X Mountain
* 4 X Ponder
* 4 X Spell Pierce
* 3 X Courier's Capsule
* 4 X Izzet Signet
* 4 X Spellstutter Sprite
* 4 X Pestermite
* 4 X Compulsive Research
* 4 X AEther Adept
* 3 X Foresee
* 4 X Splinter Twin

the sideboard

Decklist:
* 4 X Lightning Bolt
* 4 X Confound
* 3 X Guttural Response
* 4 X Relic of Progenitus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 am

Whoops, I edited the post above instead of posting a new one Razz

Ah yes, I see it does have an issue with the ' symbol. I'll have to fix that.
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:55 am

Sounds good man,

Certianly I'd love to see a sideboard function but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, besides if youre using it to test legality it just means you're building a 75 card deck, then you can go ahead and build it online afterward. It's really good for sketching out a deck for sure. Being able to search card names really fast, see images, build the deck, ect are great tools.

X-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 am

Adding a sideboard is easy peasy, its mostly an issue of where to put it on the interface.

I guess the listbox which contains the decklist could shrink, and the sideboard could fit in there perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 am

Seems like a good solution to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 am

This is probably a little early to be posting here but Ill go ahead and spam the thread with it for future reference:

Salutations all,

So I had left my last clan a little while back as I rarely saw anyone online from it and we never did anything together anyway.

So I decided I'd make an Heirloom Clan and invite anyone who plays the format to join. I'm pretty laid back so I have no interest in telling people what they can and can't do in the guild, how serious they have to be about any given format (including Heirloom) or anything. The only thing is to be nice to each other and not beg for donations or anything. (I think most people know me to be pretty reasonable so if I boot someone it'll probably be for good reason)

I'm not necessarily expecting a huge crowd, a lot of people have clans already and I certianly am not trying to get anyone to leave theirs for this one. But if you're an Heirloom player and like me don't have anywhere better to go send a message to my account on MTGO (Xaoslegend) and I'll invite you no questions asked.

I intend to make the most of the clan based on the membership it attains, we'll see what may come and go from there. I do not intend to give people in the clan any favoritism in Heirloom events or anything else I do in association with Heirloom. So don't worry about that if you don't want to/have a conflict that prevents you from joining.

Have a good one guys in any case,

X-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:14 am

Considering I think none of us have ever used MTGO before, I don't think any of us have issues with existing clan memberships Razz

On the other hand, I'm not sure how many of us can buy and download MTGO, and wake up early for the events.

In other news, I've fixed up the issue with Courier's Capsule, and uploaded a new version.
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

Awesome,

Well I figure that eventually Heirloom will have to be sponsored by more people than just me and people in my time zone to keep growing, no reason to think about limitations when complete world domination is the goal heh.

Speaking of waking up early... it's about that time for me. I'll check in sometimes tomorrow. see you Rince.

Mike-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akuri_Mitsu
Santa's favourite recipient

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah, Rince is like the resedent genious, we all a cliche around here, Max the phycho, willy the genious, im bleeding alot for some reason...
Anyways is there any way you could organise a completly free world wide event with Rince's software?

The Eye

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey, I do more than ramble...if you ever need a combo deck assembled, I'm Johnny to the bitter end!
Also, feel free to browse the rest of the forum, I have a feeling this thread's relatedness to MTGO has a strongly swaying tendency.

View user profile
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Decklist:
* 1 X Courier's Capsule

So that works now, awesome, cheers

Hey guys,

@cuzziekilla So I guess we could make a hilariously violent cartoon based on your lot ala Happy Tree Friends?

Of course Rince's program allows us to make the decks and check their legality. For a world wide event we need a program to actually play the games on. I'm not an expert on other MTG programs other than MTGO so I'd have to figure out what the best one would be for that. (Of course I don't own Heirloom, it belongs to the community so anyone who wants to hold events and organize them ect is perfectly welcome =P) geek

@The Eye cyclops I'll keep your Johnny credentials in mind for future resource. I'll take a closer look around later tonight after I get through my Quiz and lecture and blah blah blah today heh.

X-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm

I posted a link to the page where the program is all over where I advertise the format. Hopefully it works just as well when a few dozen people are using it simultaneously heh.

Mike-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 am

Let me know when the cards list needs updating - At the moment it doesn't integrate with your post of legal cards on the forum.

Also let me know if there's anything you want to put in the news section, since that updates every time anyone starts up the app.
Back to top Go down
Xaoslegend

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 am

Sounds good,

As far as news goes just an update about the last time a new version or change to the cardlist was made should be good. Razz

X-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akuri_Mitsu

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:26 am

Xaoslegend has found favor
Xaoslegend friendship level has upgrade

Happy tree free ftw XD
Id be the Army guy...literally XD

WinterWolf

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Rincewind, I had to sign up just to comment on the ap you created. Thanks and Kudos. Nice job! Smile Small and efficient without any frills but functionally just what we needed.

Paul Emerson Leicht
aka Winter.Wolf on modo

PS: regarding Modo, it is a bit of an initial fee if you are broke, however once you have an account it will be there until MODO closes. (Ive had my current one since 06 and my beta account is still active.) People do give cards and there are 2 free card bots to get you started. I do not think the beginner's package is too helpful nowadays actually (They give you cards you can't trade.) but as Xaos explained Heirloom is pretty cheap if you plan your decks ahead of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday   

Back to top Go down

MTGO Heirloom Free PRE Every Sunday or Saturday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next